Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Fall Drive 2012 - 4

I bought a new internal frame backpack last December and have been wanting to try it out.  This means a self supported hike carrying all my gear, something I have not done for many years.  As you may know all of our hiking trips along the John Muir Trail and others have been with packers toting everything but a small day pack.  So I needed to see if I could still "do it alone" and carry a 25-30 lb. pack.
This hike was from the end of Rock Creek Canyon at the trail head called Mosquito Flat Trail Camp.  My destination was Morgan Lakes which are over Morgan Pass (elev. 11,155`).
The trail at this point is good and follows around Long Lake.
I found a great camp spot which was off the main trail and sheltered from the wind by these trees.  The day was overcast and cool but nice hiking weather.
This is the view from camp of a small (unnamed) lake. 

Panning to the right this lake offered a perfect reflection of the surrounding hills.
The next morning the sun was out and the wind was gone - perfect day.  This is one of the Morgan Lakes which are quite barren,
One last lake with Morgan Pass in the background.  Great hike and I made it ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment