Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Hanging out in Marietta, Georgia 11-4-14

And your first question is - where is Marietta, Georgia.  Well, it is just northwest of Atlanta, Georgia. It is the home of one of my first cousin`s & her husband who have put up with me for the last several days.
They took me to Stone Mountain, a park east of Atlanta & the site of a large carving in a granite outcropping.  The carving shows three important civil war figures.  They are: Jefferson Davis; Robert E. Lee & Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson.  The large granite dome/rock that they are carved into rises 825` above the surrounding countryside.  I took the cable car ride to the top & took this picture of the carved area on the way up.


It is the high point in the area & the view on a clear day can be 60 miles.


The carved area is about three acres in size & 75` deep into the mountain.


It is not the best picture but that is downtown Atlanta in the distance, looking from on top of the Mtn.

Now for a few boring stats on Stone Mountain.

On top of this barren rock a few trees have managed to grow.

While here I been having a great visit & doing some hiking near the Chattahoochee River which runs through part of downtown Atlanta.



After seeing the sign above, all thoughts about a swim were off.

We were riding around in their car with their dog Baxter, a 85 lb. Lab.  At home he
thinks he is a lap dog.



 

I am heading farther south tomorrow (Thursday) to Fort Pickens State Park near Pensacola, Florida. It is right on the Gulf of Mexico and was suggested by my cousin in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.  Baton Rouge will be my next stop after checking out Fort Pickens Park.

Enough for now.  I am now heading in the direction of home but have a few places yet to stop.




No comments:

Post a Comment