Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fall Trip North - Day 5

It is now Saturday 10/22 and I spent most of the day catching up on emails and stuff.  I finally hit the road about 2:30 from Mammoth and drove to Lee Vining (just outside the east entrance to Yosemite National Park).  No major hiking or cycling but I did check out Mono Lake and the "tufas".  A "tufa" is calcium carbonate formation that have bubbled up through the very salty water of the lake.  Mono Lake is many times saltier than the ocean due to high rate of evaporation.  I know, "don`t make this a geology lesson & no, there will not be a test at the end".
But first a picture of my camper trying to hind behind a large pine tree.  Actually this is my camping spot a Twin Lakes - up the hill from Mammoth Lakes, Ca.   Ha, ha.
And now for some pictures of Mono Lake and the "tufa" mounds rising out of the water.
These are about 10` tall .
This one is about 20` tall & great reflections in the still water.
Lots of water birds dining on the brine shrimp in the water. 
Sunset over the lake with some of the tufa formations visible at the lower left.  This is looking northeast.

Just to end on a bright note, here is a bee doing what bees do best - when they are not stinging people.
I think that is enough for this blog, so until tomorrow, Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment