Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Fall Trip North - Day 6

As you may notice I have am a few days behind in my blog.  Reception of a signal is to blame and not that I am having so much fun, which I am!

Day 6 (Sunday) was a drive into Yosemite National Park and then a visit to Hetch Hetchy Valley Reservoir.  Driving up Tioga Pass (the eastern entrance to the park) goes from about 6,500` to 9,945` in elevation in about 16 miles - can you say "steep".  Of course it is worth it as you will see (for those of you that have never been there).
This is Ellery Lake elevation 9,538` - looking west and still on the climb up Tioga Pass.

A view of Tenaya Lake.

As I was driving through the high country, I could not help getting a picture of Clouds Rest  from a side view.

Next was another (I`ve never been there trip) to Hetch Hetchy Reservoir which is a long and winding 17 mile road. 


On top is a view from about half way out the drive to the reservoir and the bottom is from the dam looking east.

There is a hiking trail around the side of the reservoir (you have to go through a long tunnel of solid rock) that gives you a different view of the dam (at the right center of the shot).
This taken from the end of my hike and shows Kolana Rock with a look back up the reservoir.
I found this sign at the point I turned around,  it shows some of the places we hope to hike next year.

I camped at Hodgdon Meadows, one of the only open campground inside the park.  It was fine except several of the groups (those young people) stayed up a little late.

A great day any more to come.  That`s all folks

No comments:

Post a Comment