Saturday, July 7, 2012

Canada Trip - 6-28 to 7-7

I guess you have noticed that there have been no new postings for a while.  I went "dark".  Well the short explanation is that I decided to hang out here on Vashon Island (which is just southwest of downtown Seattle and a 15 minute ferry ride away).  It is an island of about 12,000 residents and has a very country feel to it. 
I have been able to get in several good bicycle rides and hikes, which have been great workouts.  There are lots of average hills and some quite steep but thankfully short.  I made one ride from my friends house (in the middle of the island), to the north end - then to the south end - then back to the house.  It was a total of 32 miles and took about 2.5 hours.  They are having their warmest weather in three years ( another reason that I decided to extend my stay here) which has been in the high 70`s. 
I know pictures, pictures, pictures.
Above is the Point Robinson lighthouse which has been preserved but is no longer in service.
Below is a sign that caught my eye because of the two different places in one area.  One is a shooting club and the other is a cemetery - of course I guess the noise of the shooting range would not bother the residences of the cemetery!
It is interesting to see (from the dates) some of the long history of the island.
This a view looking north, up Puget Sound to where it join the ocean.  Also a more traditional clouded sky.
While we were in Seattle for lunch, I saw this bicycle (locking) post and thought it was very creative.  You know, once a bicycle - always a bicycle person.
The next couple of pictures have an interesting story associated with them.  But first the pictures......
The story is that in the 1930`s a child leaned the bicycle against a tree and then forgot about it.  He then went into the service and fought in World War II.  When he returned, the bicycle had grown into the tree.  As the tree grew taller the bicycle moved higher off the ground.
As you can see, over the years, people have removed parts of the bicycle.  I first saw it in the 1990`s and it is fun to revisit it again after so many years.  It is such a landmark that it is immortalized in a children's` book ("Red Ranger Came Calling" by Berkely Breathed).   When  we were leaving, a couple from out of the area pulled up looking for the "bicycle in the tree".  It is just a short path into a wooded area off the main road.
Now for some pictures of the "critters" that live in and around the back yard at my friend`s house.
Above is one of the mother and her three babies that she brought right up to the back door for some snacks.

This is on a ferry going off the south end of the island as we headed to Tacoma to have lunch.  To my right, in the distance, is Mt. Rainier (partially hidden by clouds).  Being able to even see the mountain is unusual due to normal cloud cover.
Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment