Saturday, October 18, 2014

The last of Nova Scotia / actual date 10-3-14

As I was driving south before crossing the causeway (first picture below) that separates the main part of Nova Scotia from Cape Breton Island, I stopped at the tourist office.  They were very helpful with maps and suggestions of things to see.

They told me about the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in the city of Baddeck.  It is the place where Bell did a lot of his experiments, summered & is buried along with his wife.  He like the area since it reminded him of his native Scotland.  The museum is very extensive & has a lot of his actual prototypes that were donated by his family.  The family still keep a house nearby.  Unfortunately I was not allowed to take pictures inside, but did spend several hours there.

I then headed for Yarmouth on the southwestern tip on Nova Scotia.  That is where the ferry over to Portland, Maine leaves from & it turned out to be a 8+ hours sail.  It left at 10 A M but by the time I cleared Customs in Maine, it was after 9 P M.  It would have been interesting to look out (even though we were so far from land that you could not see it) but it was very foggy to the point of only being able to see about 100` to the side.

I landed (in the rain) & got a room in Freeport.  The reason for heading slightly north from Portland was to visit the LLBean main store.  It is a outdoor equipment icon that is over 100 years old which means it predates REI and all the others.  It is so big that it`s 8-10 buildings take up an entire city block.  Lots of stuff.....  I bought a pair of rain shoes, just in case it ever rains in Santa Barbara again!!

My next objective was a visit to my niece & family (yes, one of my two nieces who`s inheritance I am trying to spend as fast as I can) (see yellow decal below on the back of my camper).

She, her husband & two kids live in New Jersey.  It is an nice older part with great older houses.

This is for my friends Bob & Suzie in Miraposa - you might notice that I put a Canadian decal on the back of my camper for the trip across the country.  I thought it might endear me to people I met up there but it was not necessary.  They all treated my so nicely, as though I was their next door neighbor.

I will continue with that on the next blog - stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment