Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 18 - Petrified Forest - Gallup, New Mexico

It was a short drive to Gallup NM and what I thought was going to be a routine day, but....This day (Tuesday) started off when my wireless route went out and it took until Wednesday to get it fixed.  While it was out I was without any way to check my emails or post anything on my blog.  It was very frustrating.  With several calls to Verizon tech. dept. I was able to get it up and running.  Thank goodness for that.

Then I started to drive to my next destination - Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.  It is in an area that is so remote that you have to drive on one of two dirt roads to get there.  One road is gravel but comes in from the east side and the other one is a rocky dirt (unimproved) road that approaches from the west.  Of course I chose the closer, dirt (with fist size rocks) road.  I had gone about 4 miles and noticed that my steering was pulling to the right.  When I stopped to check, I had a completely flat right front tire.  Here I am on a mostly deserted dirt road at about 5:30 pm and nothing to do but get it changed.  After almost completing the repair another car came along and stopped to ask if I was OK.  While talking to him, I pointed out to him that his right front tire was also flat.  We changed the tires and turned around and headed back to pavement.
I drove back to Gallup, NM and stopped for the night.
Not a fun day.................
The conclusion tomorrow............

No comments:

Post a Comment