Friday, June 24, 2011

Day 21 - Durango, Colorado - Bicycling & Shopping Downtown

This being day 21 - that means I have been out on the loose for 3 weeks.  Time flies when you are having fun and I am.
I spent the day in the Durango area.  First I got my road bicycle out and rode about 40 miles - half up hill and you can guess, the other half down hill.  I headed north toward a small town called Silverton.  The ride up the main road (Hwy. 550) seemed really easy until I turned around and started back down.  It was then that I realized that I had a 25 MPH tail wind and the ride back was not just coasting but having to pedal down hill.  No brains - no headaches!  It was still a good ride and I gained about 2,000` of elevation but did not make the pass (10,640`) as I intended.

Above is a shadow picture of me on the roadway.  OK so I`m weird!  Below is one of the green hills with red rock layers.

I cleaned up a took the "free" shuttle bus into downtown Durango and did some shopping.  Found a great Spanish food restaurant and just checked out old town Durango.  The highlight was a celebration for the Denver Broncos complete with three of the cheerleaders signing autographs.  Yes, they were in their uniforms and guarded by several policemen.  They even had two of the Superbowl trophies (also heavily guarded) on display.

Sorry Mark but the sun was bright that day so the lettering is hard to read but they are the real things.
This last picture is one of the Police cars at the Broncos celebration and the way they secured their bicycle to the rack - look closely - yes that is a pair of handcuffs.  I guess they figured that was going to hold it.

Well that`s it from Durango, Co. - next it is north to Ridgway State Park about 70 - 100 miles.  But a stop in two small towns of Silverton & Ouray along the way.

Probably no more "ruins" for a while but then you may have had enough already...............

Hasta la Vista, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment