Sunday, June 17, 2012

Canada Trip - Tuesday 6-12

Driving north I stopped to visit one of my former coworkers (actually) my first supervisor who lives in Eugene, Oregon.  We started work for the City of Santa Barbara on the same day.  After a good visit he lead me to an  RV park just north of Eugene which worked out great.
The next day I headed north to see Mt. St. Helen`s.  I arrived at the visitors center about 3:00 pm only to find out that the drive out to the actual volcano (about 1.5 hours east) would put me there after their close.  There was a nice camp ground right across the road, that was like being in a tropical rain forest.
I thought I would work myself into a picture every so often.  The next shots are in the camp ground where I spent the night.  Below is one of the rhododendron which were nearing the end of their blooming cycle but this one was still perfect.
Above is a rhododendron tree which is about 15` tall.
This is a fallen log that is completely covered with a thick layer of moss - as is everything including the standing trees in the background.
Even this shade cover for a picnic area had a thick layer of moss on the roof.  In the background is one of several "yurts" or covered camping tents that could be rented for the night. 
This is my camp spot that night, complete with ferns and a large moss covered rock.  A little rain and a great nights sleep.  I will include a picture of the three foot high ferns that were through the camp grounds. 

The next day I found out that the view of the actual volcano was obscured (as it often is this time of year) by ground fog.  Due to that I decided not to drive the 3-4 hour round trip out to try and see more than I saw at the visitors center.
I headed north to visit with a dear friend who lives on Vashon Island, which is just southwest of downtown Seattle, Washington.  I takes a half hour ferry ride to reach the island and it is also very green out there.  There are a lot of wildlife on the island including: deer; bald eagles; sea otters; raccoons & crested blue jays. 
Here are some of the raccoons that get handouts every day at the house.  Very cute but still wild animals.
This is just some of the raccoons (masked bandits) that arrive at the first sign of life inside the house.
So much for now, so I will say (in Italian) - Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment